It is a good idea to consider the following when searching for a home:
- Check with a lending institution to see what the requirements are for buying a home.
- Call a lending institution and ask a loan officer to pre-qualify for a home loan. (Not to be confused with pre-approval.).
- Ask the institution for current interest rates. They typically change daily. Most lenders will not lock in a rate until approval is received.
- Ask how much money the financial institution requires for a down payment. There are programs available for assistance. (i.e. FHA - check with your loan officer or real estate agent for options).
- Do you have enough savings in addition to the down payment to cover closing costs?
- Always ask if there are any other fees you are unaware of. Much of this is negotiable. Just ask.